I teach compass use without a map and without worrying about variation/declination in the early stages of learning. The end goal is to be able to navigate from point A to point B given a bearing and distance from A to B. You will be able to do this without a map and with about 1% accuracy (50 feet/mile). You will at all times know exactly where you are in relation to point A.

I don't teach memorization. I'll have you repeat exercises many times so you will learn the theory of compass navigation in a way you will never forget it.

The first step is being sure you know how to find a magnetic bearing, often called a magnetic heading. In other words, what direction is it to that tree across the park.

1. Stand facing the target. Hold the compass flat at about belt level or higher with the direction of travel arrows pointing toward the target. (Move the compass around a bit the first time to be sure you aren't wearing anything metal.)

2. Rotate the dial so the red part of the needle is over the red arrow on the baseplate.

3. Read the bearing off the compass under the direction arrow.

Today's exercise: Take at least 50 bearings to different objects as you take a walk. You only need to be accurate to the nearest 5 degrees.

I remember you saying you are good at Excel. Is that correct? (and how good are you.)

Edited by Gershon (05/16/15 06:33 AM)