I'm on the road at the moment, have been comparing the black diamon revolt and the zebra red lamp. I was following the Aztec Butte trail in Canyon Lands National park Utah. I found that I did retain night vision better with the zebra red lamp, and it does get brighter and casts a more even light compared to the twin red leds on the revolt, but also found that I could not see the cairns - and they were never that far, 100 yards or so on average - without using the white spotlight of the black diamond, so I was unable to rely solely on the zebra red lamp which is disappointing for me. On a longer hike where trail finding would not be practical with the zebra, and possibly plausible with the revolt. Of course I'm just a newb doing trial and error and learning.

One fun thing I got to do with my lamp yesterday, I helped out a photographer who was trying to take a night photograph of Balanced Rock in Arches National Park, he had a petzl headlamp and it wasn't strong enough to paint light onto the boulder for a long exposure. So I handed him my revolt and he was able to get a decent picture. I'm impressed as I know the Revolt is not as strong as the storm, but for this scenario it was strong enough, the boulder was sitting 55 feet up off the base.

@finallyme
I don't think any of the consumer compasses would work well with red lamp, and as for maps, I COULD scan them and do color correction and reprint them but that is a great deal of work for a niche want (not really a necessity, I'm not doing covert missions). Navigating at night is painful enough on its own although it is something I'd like to know how to do if the need arises or for special occasions. As far as I know getting the setup needed to do night navigation as a consumer is difficult. I wonder if any gps units have a night mode. Hmm.

@Gershon, I created a new thread for ya, hope you reply soon with your content as people will probably be annoyed with lack of content out of the gate.

Edited by adamlogan (05/15/15 05:43 PM)