I would love a tutorial on your method of navigating via compass. I think I will go ahead and pickup that Brunton compass, looks like an incredible value and I like how minimal it is.

It seems virtually all compasses use red for the parallel lines for orienting with latitude and for the N needle. I imagine map coloring would be hard to distinguish using a red lamp too.

So far I'm really loving the red zebralight, the range of light it can give off is amazing and the spread is perfectly even as far as I can see. I do feel that my eyes are more relaxed with dim red light versus dim white light but I need to take it on a trip outdoors to get a real feel for it.

As much as I like the zebralight it seems like the revolt would be more practical for long distance trips.

My main concern with a zebralight would be recharging. Sanyo Eneloop batteries look good for shorter trips, but for longer trips it seems to be more of a challenge. I was looking at USB rechargeable AA battaries but it seems they're an emerging product not stable as of yet. Not an immediate concern though, it'll be awhile before I spend that much time on the trail before I run into that problem. Just thinking smile. I should read up on what approaches thru-hikers took towards various topics like these.