Been doing some looking around online at compasses. Been looking at button compasses, watch compasses and baseplate compasses.

I was looking at Suunto M3G, but saw a comment that said it's not a good compass if you're using a red headlamp for night vision and I just bought a Zebra Light that is red and only red… Because the torch led is red and not using a filter it's supposed to be much brighter than the typical headlamp with tiny red leds or super led bulbs w/ red filter.

I'm aware that navigating at night is discouraged but I'd like to have the ability if I need to do that. Wondering what compass would work well with a red headlamp.

Thinking of weight, I have looked for solar powered keychain leds that cycle through RGB. Unless I can leave it on and wear it around my neck or something I don't see myself using it to read or navigate. I currently own a Petzl e+lite and a Black Diamond Revolt. Was thinking of using the Zebralight for headlamp and carrying the petzl e+lite as a backup. The black diamond revolt I bought mostly for around the house with possible inklings of being able to recharge it if I were to go on a long trip via solar panel but eh, I imagine the solar panels are more trouble than I want to deal with.

I was wondering how useful an orienteering compass would be for navigating, seems useful in that it doesn't have scales (maps have many different scales right?) Seems nicely compact. I found one that has black bezel and white numbers, I would imagine this would be easier to see than black numbers on white background. Moscow Sport Model 3. Am I delusional or what? Another orienteering model:Suunto Arrow 6

Just saw this simple watch compass from Navelite but am concerned that there's no way to adjust declination, and I imagine its not a global compass. Not so great for working with a map but for making interim corrections maybe?

Thoughts, suggestions, share your experiences?

Edited by adamlogan (04/04/15 02:38 AM)
Edit Reason: clarification