So part of my reasoning for taking superfluous "communal" items is that I am guilty of worrying about the comfort of the other hikers in my group. I am almost always the group leader and equally as often the trip planner. Because of this, I have an inherent feeling of responsibility for everyone in the group - as though it would be my fault if they did not enjoy themselves.

Perfect example: 3 years ago, Memorial Day weekend - 4 of us set out on AT in central PA for a long weekend. We dropped a car at the take-out and then all crammed in for the drive to the TH. As we reached the ridge to park the car at the take-out, it died. 200,000+ miles on a Saturn: I'd say he got his money's worth out of that car. We still went on to have a great time, but I couldn't help but feel somewhat responsible for his misfortune - like I could have planned better so he didn't have to drive his clunker up a huge hill.

I need to convince myself while packing that these communal niceties can stay at home and worry more about my own needs (and those of my back and legs!). If the group decided to bring something like a phone charger, I need to include it in the communal weight so everyone gets a piece of the fun.

Side note: the 5 or so minutes it's taken me to type out this response has been rather therapeutic. I almost feel like I don't even need to post this anymore...but alas...

Edited by dylansdad77 (03/20/15 12:55 PM)