re: the discussion on ultralite.

I discovered here, some time ago, that I am one of the "ultralighters" and thought I'd offer a few thoughts.

I've always been very light (well almost always), originally because I didn't have very much and didn't have the money for more. But what I had was heavy for what it did.

A few years ago (well, ten or twelve to be more exact) it became obvious that I had to lighten up or quit backpacking, and by that time, I had a few bucks extra, so I replaced the heavy-for-their-jobs equipment, one item at a time. My best help in this was Mountain Laurel Designs and Western Mountaineering.

But a key factor was experience. I never had a tent, wasn't used to using one, so I didn't feel the need to buy one. Same with a number of other things. Never had many extra clothes, so never got used to having them (like others, I carry extra socks and undies). The list could go on.

But it also helps that I camp in order to hike, so don't spend much time in camp.

But the most critical factor is that I learned by experience that one need not be dependent on fancy equipment. Take it very slow, and be aware of what you are doing, and you can learn to be safe and comfortable without many pounds of gear. Yes it does require experience and paying thoughtful attention as you gain it. I would not send a beginner into the woods for ten days with my pack.

Slightly off topic, but weather is also a factor. One needs a fairly good idea of what to expect and to pack accordingly. Since I grew up in the Ozarks, there was real nostalgia for me in billstephenson's description of the signs of changing weather and navigation there. I remember that quite clearly once mentioned, but would not have been able to call it back on my own. Thanks Bill.