Conceptually, something like the Black Diamond HiLight combines the best of both worlds: simple, free-standing (lacking wind), waterproof-breathable, single-wall shelter. Whether it actually works in filling all those niches depends entirely on the climate in which its used. In a soggy tropical region during monsoon season it would be exactly the wrong tent because rain would eventually defeat the fabric and once wet inside, it will never dry.

Impermeable single-wall tents (freestanding or requiring a dozen stakes) rely on ventilation schemes to dispatch condensation. Whether this works again depends on the local climate and truthfully, I've never used one that can't at some point be overwhelmed by conditions, creating indoor rain. (e.g., Still, cold nights on saturated ground and/or in a basin with a water source.) But the majority of time in the Sierra, where I usually hike, careful site selection and typical dry summer weather mean I can use a Tarptent or a GoLite teepee and stay dry. None of mine are freestanding, though.

Even double-wall can be overwhelmed by conditions and get wet from condensation. Also, nearly all require at least some staking and guying to anchor and separate the fly from the inner canopy, and to prevent flapping in the breeze.

At least you have a few hundred models to pore over.

Cheers,