Duane, that Cuben fiber gear looks amazingly light but sure is pricey. I'm retired and have some bills, more now than when I retired at first, so gear selection is based on cost as well as weight savings. It can add up in a hurry when only trying to lose 5 or 6 pounds of total weight.

I find one of my issues is feeling like I can carry the same weight I did 30 years ago and tend to take a few items that are unnecessary. Right now that is one of my main areas of attention, leaving things out that are redundant or frivolous.

There are certain items that I like to carry and some I would like to use more often if I could find a better way to carry them. I like my MSR Whisperlte and it is heavier than my Snow Peak canister stove. If I could find the perfect titanium pot to stuff the Whisperlite into I wouldn't mind taking it more often. Presently the cooking pot adds too much to the stove. I would be forced in colder weather perhaps but so far prefer the lighter Snow Peak. I am a bit of a stove lover and have few other choices but the weight keeps me from taking them very far these days.

I am shooting for 25 pounds for a 2-3 day trip and should be able to accomplish that. I prefer wool to synthetics but I own some of each and could easily lighten up on the clothing. I have a light down jacket that I mainly carry for use as a pillow but doubles as an emergency layer of warmth.

I think I am going for a two pound tent and leaving the 3 to 4 pounder at home and I need to take a lighter sleeping bag. I often take my old TNF Cat's Meow, great bag but heavy and bulky by today's standards. I could easily save half of it's weight by taking a down bag. I have a Marmot 30 degree that weighs under 2 pounds. I just need to pack it instead of the TNF.

I like the Zpack gear but over my limits cost wise, maybe someday :-)

Edited by Bill67 (02/16/15 11:55 PM)