Bill, I never made it to ultralight (under 10 lbs. base weight), either. Never mind those 6-8 lb. base weight gear lists! Yes, they are achievable, but they are really Spartan. They also require a great deal of experience and highly honed skills in coping with really nasty conditions, because the safety margin provided by the gear is a lot less. Most ultralight hikers hike vigorously dawn to dark and spend most of the rest of their time in their sleeping bags. Even if that were my hiking style (it isn't), I'm not physically capable of it.

For me, total pack weight under 25 lbs. is all I can carry, which is why I worked hard on reducing my base weight to the 11-12 lb. range. For me, it was cut my pack weight by more than half or not backpack at all! I do take everything I need for my comfort and safety, considering my leisurely hiking style ("stop and smell the flowers"), old age, arthritis, bum knee and where/when I hike (high Cascades or Rockies, 3 season).

Rather than looking wishfully at new gear you can't afford (I've been there, done that!), you might want to see what you can do with what you have and maybe a few inexpensive substitutions (such as the alcohol stove). For me, the "Big 4" (pack, tent, sleeping bag, pad) accounted for only half of my weight savings.) I had to make choices as to what to take and what to leave behind, eliminating duplicate items (a lot of those), and trying to choose more items with multiple uses. My goal was to get the "everything else" (other than the Big 4, food, fuel, water) down to the 5-6 lb. level, and I've done that. It's harder because, instead of pounds per item, you're saving two ounces here and three ounces there on a lot of small items, eventually adding up to pounds.

We've already listed a number of references to look at if you want to lighten up. The ones I've linked to have tended towards the low budget range since that's where you are. It's interesting to study lightweight and even ultralight gear lists and compare them to your own just for ideas. You of course have to adapt other people's lists to your own wants and needs.

Do note several categories of weight on the "standard" gear lists. First, base weight--everything in the pack (including the pack) except food, water fuel (the items that depend on length of trip). It's a silly number (nobody goes out without food and water, I hope!) but is useful for comparing different gear lists without the variable items. It inludes clothing carried in the pack but not what you're wearing at the start. Second, "total pack weight"--the pack and everything in it including the variable items. Third, "skin out weight"--the pack and all the clothing and other stuff worn or carried at the trailhead. I really like W_D's idea of "base skin out weight," base weight plus everything worn/carried, but very few people use that one. We need to start a new trend!

The 27-lb., 7-day gear list on the home page of this site is a fairly good one to compare to. It's designed for three seasons in the Washington Cascades, and is the one I used as a model (for items and weights of individual items rather than brands/models). For now, ignore all of "Shelter" and the pack on that list, since you can't do anything about those. Quite a few of the "everything else" items on that list are heavier than what I now take, but this list is a good place to start.

If you prefer to stick with what you have (again, ignoring the "Big 4") and not try to cut more weight, that's fine, too. I suspect that keeping track of what you use and don't use during several trips might suggest some weight savings. Limiting the length of trips (less food needed) and/or doing shorter mileage days are equally valid ways of coping with pack weight!

In other words, get out there and have fun! Gear is important, but some of us (including me) tend to obsess over it, which is not a good idea. It is more fun to hike with a lighter load. Feel free to ask questions! Please keep in touch and let us know how you're doing. We love trip reports!

Edited by OregonMouse (02/16/15 04:56 PM)