Quote:
I figure I will be in the 32 to 35 pound range for a 3 to 5 day warm weather hike.

That's about where I'm at for a 3-4 day trip in cool weather (30º lows, 50º highs).

The difference between "Ultralight" and "Lightweight" (which is what this forum focuses on) is exactly what you've pointed out, "comfort", and, I suspect ego has something to do with it too for some backpackers. I mean, if you're willing to be cold and sleep on hard ground then it's easy to go lighter and brag about it, but I'm not interested in those kinds of bragging rights, or impressed by them.

Another aspect is cold hard cash. It's easier to go lighter if money is not a limiting factor, but it is for me. Envy, however, isn't. I'm thrilled with the gear I have, and always have been. I was just excited to get my 1st sleeping bag as each one I've got that was a little better ever since, and just as happy using it. Backpacking with someone who has far better gear has been pretty common for me, and I really do appreciate high end gear, but I never felt my trip was somehow diminished because I didn't have it. Every time that's happened we were all in the same place, breathing the same air and enjoying the same view.

I can certainly see why one would want to give UL a try, and even make it their own norm, but that's a personal choice that has nothing at all to do with my choices or reasons I make them and I don't allocate any extra points for those who go that route, nor do I deduct any from those who do or don't. No one I know would care if I did, and they shouldn't.

It's the same with miles hiked. It's certainly a good thing to be fit enough to hike 20 miles a day, and lots of hikers focus on miles more than anything. That's fine. That's what they want out of backpacking, but not me. I go backpacking to enjoy the outdoors. That's my primary goal. I don't have to go far to accomplish that.

The one thing that is true, and always will be, is that less weight is easier to carry.

-- It's also true that a pound of beer weighs less than a pound of tent when you're carrying it, but only if you get to drink it. If you spill it, or if your friends find it, your fatigue from carrying will retroactively increase its weight by a factor of at least 14. That's a scientific fact.

"You want to go where?"