Everything that does not smell of food goes inside the tent. Only totally soaked clothing go in the vestibule. I also use my pack as a pillow. I am short so have plenty of length inside the tent that I put shoes at the foot end. I use knee high gaiters and use these to put the shoes on so the tent floor does not get muddy. I would never put shoes outside. Too many little critters that like to chew on things that have salt. Same with pack. Shoulder straps will always be salty. I put my stove and cook pots in the vestibule, but bear can with all food goes outside. I am paranoid about leaking water bottles, so all water bottles stay outside.

When I camp in my bivy sack, my pack and shoes also go inside the bivy as a pillow. It helps to be a small person (and have a small pack). All tents and shelters are over-sized for my needs. I always have plenty of space, even in a solo tent.

Like OM, I still want a vestibule, even if I put nothing under it, so that I have a dry awning and can leave the door open when it rains, for ventilation.