Aren't these prone to freezing in colder temperatures where as nalgene bottles are more insulated?

Originally Posted By carbeque

A person can even build a hose barb into a spare cap (and drill vent holes) to make something that would easily interface with a filter system. EDIT: The same idea could be used to make a drinking straw in a spare lid. ;-)

I bought one of these off of Amazon. It's a little pricey, and a little gimmicky, but it works really well. The vent is a simple rubber valve that allows air into the bottle when water is sucked out. I used it on an older, cheaper bag where reaching for a water bottle was awkward. My newer bag doesn't have that issue, so I just use disposables. It also forces me to take a short break every now and then when I drink, which is good because I sometimes just keep pushing forward.

I find that filling a bladder is a hassle, as is putting a filled bladder into a hydration sleeve. Or should I risk getting everything wet and leave it in the bag as I fill it? Never did figure that out. I also like to know how much water I have.