Originally Posted By aimless
I personally do not find multi-tools to be worth their weight, but if you have a specific use in mind, then it would make sense to take one. If it is just to provide a vague sense of preparedness, I'd leave it home.

I vacillated a lot on what tool(s) to bring. I had decided to bring one good but light fixed blade knife, a Mora Companion, and one of those tiny key chain multitools. I wanted the multitool mostly for the pliers, to use as a pot lifter, and for the scissors to use for first aid and repair purposes. Of course that was before I'd decided to bring no-cook foods. The Mora with sheath was about four ounces, and the keychain tool was two. It lived in my first aid kit, but then I lost my original FAK, so my full size multitool takes the place of the other two tools but weighs two ounces more. However, I may bring the Mora and one of those tiny $1 knives that also has scissors. I hopefully won't need pliers for anything, and that combination should weight about five ounces total.

Originally Posted By aimless
I'm assuming the pack, shelter and sleeping bag situation are limited by a shortage of available funds. Other than that, it seems like a very competent list in general. The refinements you'll eventually make to it will be guided more by your personal style than by fixing any glaring errors of judgment.

Yes, you're correct, funds are tight in my case. That's part of why it's taking me so long to take my first overnight trip. I'm making the best compromises with gear that I feel will be safe. My setup will be heavy, but if it gets me out into the woods, that's a win. Thank you for your vote of confidence, aimless.