Wow! Thanks for all that information. I certainly have a lot of reading to do...so to answer a few of the questions posed:

I don't bring both tents - I interchange them depending on the trip (mainly if I am crashing in my own tent or if I will end up having to share).

My trips are primarily in the Northeastern US. I am in NJ and so far we've hiked areas within a 4 hour drive (Catskills, Western Poconos, AT in PA, NJ and NY, NJ Skylands and the NJ Pine Barrens.

My most recent pack weight was around 36 pounds. I probably could have gotten that down to 32 pounds, but I failed to properly share the communal weight amongst the other hikers in my group. My first trip (as an adult) was over 60 pounds but those days are long gone. I have since deleted many frivolous items from my list.

I am definitely a creature comfort person so I don't ever envision myself having a pack weight in the "teens". I sleep on my stomach so some form of pad is necessary - I am also in the market for a rectangular sleeping bag (mummy bags tend to suffocate us stomach sleepers). I haven't seen many lightweight rectangular bag options, understanding that the full-sized footbox adds some weight to the overall bag.

I should probably also mention that the core group is comprised of myself - late 30's, athletic but not in good physical shape, Eagle Scout and outdoors enthusiast. Another late 30s Eagle Scout, not so athletic and also not in the best physical shape. Lastly another late 30's Tenderfoot (he gets teased a lot) but in better physical condition than the more seasoned outdoorsmen.

Again, thanks all for the advice. If you see me out on the trail, I will be the one hunched over from the excessive pack weight but with a huge smile on my face nonetheless.