Originally Posted By 4evrplan
It honestly never even occurred to me that drones would be a nuisance to people. I always just thought they made gorgeous aerial films. But, live and learn; now I know.

They do make gorgeous aerial films, and the technology is amazing. I'm no less annoyed with ATVs, Motorcycles, Mountain Bikes, Motorboats, etc. in places that are designated public areas where these are restricted or banned.

I'm not opposed to their use entirely, but I'd rather there isn't a free for all approach and there's already been instances where their operators made less than good choices and their drones failed and/or crashed. The video of the wedding couple getting smacked in the head with a drone was a good example of that this year.

Towards the end of this year we saw several videos of birds attacking drones and the general consensus was "Wow, watch this. Isn't this cool?!!" but that wasn't my take away at all. This kind of stuff begets more of the same. It's not a stretch to assume there will be those who, after seeing this, will go looking for wildlife to provoke.

Next year we'll likely see videos of drones annoying Bear, Deer, Moose, Whales, and whatever they can because some people will be feeding their egos with the number of YouTube views they get.

It's almost impossible to imagine we'll not see even stupider drone events next year. We just can't over estimate the creative ways and great efforts people will put into pushing the bounds of stupid and there has to be an almost infinite number of ways to apply that to drones.

All that said, I think the technology is awesome, and the potential for what can be done with these is huge and both exciting and frightening at the same time. So, it's not something we can take lightly. I think we need to try and get a grip on it pretty quickly.

"You want to go where?"