In the next year, maybe two, I don't see myself needing a large pack (i.e., 70L) because I'm not planning on multi-day hikes where I'll be camping and cooking. So I would hold off buying such a pack until I plan a more serious, multi-day hike and then I would buy what is necessary. For now, I'm planning on hikes from 1 hour (out my back door) to 3, 5, maybe 7 hour day hikes. I'm looking for a pack that is large enough to handle those 5-7 hour day hikes, including in the winter when I may have more clothes in the pack.

The other consideration is some neck/shoulder issues I've been having from cycling (part of the reason I'm going to spend time hiking, but I'll still be cycling). I want a pack with a good sternum strap that takes the weight off my shoulders (not much weight to begin with on these day hikes...). Some of those 10-15L packs I've seen have a small belt that I'm "assuming" would not be comfortable or effective at distributing 75% of the weight of the pack to my hips. I've been doing a bit of searching but haven't seen a 10-15L pack that has the ventilation, padded sternum strap, etc., of something like the Osprey Stratos. I don't see myself needing to use all of the 36L carrying capacity of the Stratos, but then if I did a 1-2 night trip with minimal gear and it all fit, then it could be the one pack for me (for now).

Thanks.