OregonMouse,

Good job getting your grandson out. I think hiking out in the evening was an excellent idea. So was leaving much of the gear behind. Good thing you had the headlamps. We also carry headlamps in case we have to make a night exit. I seldom use mine as I have a small solar powered flashlight.

I once had a similar ankle injury the day before we went camping. It was about a mile hike in. Dumb, but I was about 16. I spent the next day wading in ice cold streams and the swelling went down. Later, I found out the ankle was broken, but it heeled without treatment.

Anyway, from one situation, sometimes we can learn about a similar circumstance. I consider a sprained ankle one of the most probable injuries, yet I don't carry an ankle wrap. What I do carry is scissors and I know I could make an ankle wrap from one of the cotton shirts I'm not supposed to wear or the cotton pants I wear. I could also make it from the tent footprint, but that would probably be hot and sweaty.

A sprained ankle is the reason I always take enough gear on day hikes to spend a reasonably comfortable night.

A friend of mine used to be a Philmont counselor. He once told me they taught the scouts to step around, over or on obstacles -- in that order. Since I started using this, I've had fewer slips.

Once again -- great job! Your grandson has had an experience that can't be duplicated by reading or talking about these situations.