I agree with W_D. Most "working stiffs" I know go out for a week plus the two weekends--9 days. That was the normal "long trip" while I was working and belonged to an active hiking/backpacking/mountaineering club. If the trip involved a really long drive, we would leave Friday at 5, drive (taking turns and supported by lots of caffeine) until well into the wee hours Saturday, start backpacking Saturday (definitely sleep-deprived!), backpack 8 days and start the drive home Sunday morning. At least with that schedule there was no problem sleeping Saturday night!

The alternative for most of those who work is going out Friday evening through Sunday, thus taking no time off work and being out for only 2 days (3 days if it's a holiday weekend, althouth those involve more time stuck in traffic).

I repeat what W_D says--only a few backpackers are thru-hikers, and they are definitely not the norm! Very, very few people can afford to take 6 months out of their lives--most of us have demanding careers and dependents to support. And that short a resupply period means a lot more hitchiking and going off trail, which slows down the hike.

The difference with being retired is that I can go out weekdays and avoid the crowds on weekends, especially holiday weekends. If it's a longer trip, I'm out at the farthest distance from the trailhead by the weekend, escaping most of the crowds. 'Tis wonderful!

As I mentioned earlier, in times of extreme fire danger, it doesn't matter what stove/fuel system you prefer--at those times the only legal options are canister, liquid gas/kerosene (unacceptably heavy for most of us), or rehydrating your food in cold water.

Edited by OregonMouse (06/24/14 02:01 AM)