“For trips of 7 days or more, the combination of stove + fuel is actually lighter for a canister stove. stove weight vs. time over 14 days.”

Yea, that link needs updating. It’s been there for at least 10+ years. Maybe add a pepsi stove for comparison. Lets look at 10 days – though this is rare even for any thru hiker (plan for 4 or 5 day refill).

In the above setup it is assumed the canister and alcy will use the same type/weight of pot and boiling the same volume of water so that is out of the calculation. And I use an alcy efficiency 0.75 mass-oz/meal. it’s usually 0.50mass-oz/meal but I just wanted to point out that there’s a lot of playing room with alcy and yet it still comes out with less weight.

Now how about a Jetboil? You’ll see even a greater weight difference (in AvgWeight/day).

“But, something just occurred to me: why have none of the major makers (MSR, Snow Peak, Coleman/Peak 1, etc.) come out with a version of the alcohol stove?”

Good question since they’re used heavy in marine and artic conditions. At least Evernew and Trangia have enjoyed success.

-Barry