Out here in the West, many jurisdictions now ban alcohol stoves during fire season--especially after several major alcohol-stove-caused fires the past few years. Many jurisdictions insist on stoves with on/off valves and often require stoves that are UL certified. The rules, of course, vary by jurisdiction (a real pain if you're passing through, for example, several national forests) and by the fire danger conditions at a specific time.

Especially in dry conditions, you definitely don't want to go off and do something else while your stove is operating!

I own both alcohol and canister stoves, but invariably when I'm packing up, I grab the canister stove. It's a lot more convenient.

For trips of 7 days or more, the combination of stove + fuel is actually lighter for a canister stove. stove weight vs. time over 14 days.

The almost-empty canisters can be used for car-camping or one-night trips. The canisters can also be recycled once completely empty. It's easy to tell how much fuel is left in a canister by weighing it (most canisters show full and empty weight). All you need to do is to do some testing with cold water on your patio to find out how much fuel is used for your average boil.

Edited by OregonMouse (06/19/14 08:43 PM)