so during a recent stopover at the cabelas in Hamburg, PA, I started this same discussion with one of the workers in the area - for fun. She looked like a deer in headlights, hence the fun. However, minutes into the conversation, I received a tap on the shoulder. When I turned around I saw a man in his (estimated) mid-thirties, full beard and dirty. A thru-hiker! I still consider myself a relative amateur at hiking so this was a real treat.

He was quick to offer suggestions and basically forced me to pick up a Sawyer Squeeze. He said "this thing works great, best bang for your buck, don't bother with anything else". On the spot I went with his recommendation as well as living by another manly tenet "Why buy 1 when you can have 2 at twice the price?". I figured it would make a good father's day gift for my cousin who recently became a father for the first time.

I have yet to try it out...I will reply again once I've had a chance to use it. Thanks again everyone who responded to my question! Happy Trails...