Although I am not familiar with most of the European brands, Asolo makes good hiking shoes and boots. I have had two pair of them. For Peru, unless you are carrying a heavy pack, a trail runner (a fortified running shoe or trainer) will work. Many companies make them, but as already said, fit is most important. Merrill and Vasque are two other well-known brands.

I don't think you need a heavy hiking boot. From what I know, the Inca Trail is not like some tracks you'd find in the mountains where you may find lots of loose rock. I friend of mine did the trek a while back and wore a light pair of boots, as I recall. If you have any issues with your ankles, get a taller boot than a trail runner, which as I said, looks like a pair of trainers.

Don't try to buy a pair over the internet, even if the price is appealing, you really need to try them on and walk around the store a bit. If you have a Cotswold or other store nearby, give them a go. Here are links to a couple of UK retailers with stores in London-
UK stores
Ellis-Brigham
Cotswold

Edited by TomD (06/15/14 03:22 AM)