Thanks for the replies - I took a weekend backpacking/fishing trip so I'm just getting back to everything.

Wandering_Daisy: thanks or chiming in. I've heard a similar issue from people about choosing a place to go. That's something I'd like to write about if I get that far with this idea.

Gershon
1st post: good point about the sandbags, I'll make that update.
2nd post: A lot of good points in your post, I'll keep some of that in mind incase future articles would hit on some of what you wrote.

OregonMouse
1st post: I saw similar charts in a lot of articles about pack capacity - maybe there's a different way to present the information to people can grasp how pack sizes vary. Once/if I write the other articles and talk about the size and weight of other equipment I can update that section, but I'll know more once I get those pieces done.
2nd post: I still have your concern in the back of my mind while working on this, that's kinda why I'm digging a little more. I like the idea I'm working with, but I want to make sure I'm not creating something people don't want.

JPete - Thanks for the references. I've taken a quick look at Mark's site in the past, and will do so again. For the The Complete Walker, which I have, while there is a great deal of good info in there, there's a lot of info to sort through. For a someone new to backpacking looking at a 800 page book can be intimidating/daunting, sometimes they just want a quick and easy way to determine the pack or stove they should buy. But as you & OregonMouse mentioned, maybe there's no need to reinvent the wheel with this.

Thanks again. I have a little more work to do and plan to get those pieces in front of new backpackers to hear their reactions. Hopefully by week's end or early next week I have a better sense where to go with all this.

Edited by ryan54 (06/09/14 11:10 PM)