Boogie,

First, you stated you want an equivalent boot, so I'm assuming you want a boot and not a high top hiking shoe as I call today's boots. Secondly, you stated you want a boot that will last a long time. Thirdly, you stated that you want a boot that is waterproof. Finally, you said it must be comfortable.

This modern combat boot will fulfill all your criteria. It was the top boot bought by soldiers at Ft. Carson going to Afghanistan when they didn't take the issue boots. Take some time to read the reviews.

Don't let the word "Desert" fool you. That refers to the type of sole. I've worn it in temperatures well below zero and well above 100. It is comfortable in all temperatures with wool socks. It is completely waterproof, and I often walk through streams instead of taking the stepping stones. The only time I got a little moisture through them was after a couple hours of post-holing. Even then, it was just a trickle.

I've worn these boots for over 2,600 miles and there is no sign of significant wear on the top. I keep the soles covered with Gorilla tape, so there is no sign of wear on the bottom. I did recently start to get a wear point in the inserts which I covered with Gorilla tape. Someday I'll order new inserts from Danner for $18.

They are a little expensive at $180, but they will outwear several pairs of other shoes.

The standard for combat boots is 180 days of deployment with no repairs needed. In other words, they are tough, and they have to prove it to be approved.

They are comfortable right out of the box. They seem true to size as measured on those things in a shoe store. If you get them, be sure you can wiggle your toes in all directions. There should be about a 1/2 inch between your toes and the end of the shoe. Because of the design of combat boots, your feet won't slide forward going downhill unless it is exceptionally steep.

The only negative is they can be little hard to get on during those night trips outside the tent. Loosen the laces well, and it's not a problem.

Read the reviews on the Danner site and Amazon and make your own decision.