Originally Posted By rockchucker22
I don't know Bluefish, I've bought quite a bit of cottage gear in the last few years and justify it by the fact I don't do much other travel. Hotel rooms are ridiculously high priced and a few nights easily pays for some nice gear. So I look at as vacation cost but last much longer.

RC, since I don't live in Bishop anymore frown , the smaller lightweight gear has the advantage of being easier to travel with. Dragging heavy packs through airports suck! It also is good enough to use car camping comfortably, acclimating to altitude, or when I want to fish, fish, fish. In April , thanks to accumulated points and Hotwire, we did a trip to the Grand Canyon and northern New Mexico for under a grand for 9 days from Albany, NY. Our trips to the Sierra cost little more, thanks to never or rarely staying in motels, cheap air fares to Lost Wages, and budget rental cars with unlimited miles. I'm fully on board with trading off expensive vacations for useful, durable gear. Lightweight also means smaller and fits easily in a compact, economy car. Just don't tell Hertz and Avis the trailheads they end up parked on. grin
Being a trail and trout bum means my means are slim; gear is an investment in a quality life for me.