Just an observation, and may be incorrect, but it seems a lot of the cottage UL industry is driven by older folks with disposable income. Though I have gone light, not UL, my knees ,after much life abuse, can stand a lot of trail miles. I'm very grateful for the wonderful products out there. I easily fit enough to be safe and comfortable in a 60 liter pack, and my wife in a 40. (Hmmmm, that sounds like my wife fits in a 40) grin What may have been driven by the need of ultra-athlete/hikers to achieve huge mileages has benefited those who can't aspire to lofty physical goals due to encroaching age. As far as I'm concerned, 20-28 lbs. for me, and 12-18 lbs. for my wife lets us hike with comfort and have a great time.We bring reading material, good food that we enjoy eating, and sometimes a fly rod and pack raft. Without the push for light weight products, the 3-4k elevation gains we do now would be impossible for us. I hope the technology keeps going! Lightweight will never trump fitness, but it sure helps as you get older!