The important thing about a pack is not the brand, it's fit, fit and fit. It must fit your body. It must fit your gear. And it needs to be a comfortable carry for you with your gear inside. Pack fit is almost as individual as shoe fit!

That's why it's generally recommended to buy your pack last after you've already accumulated your other gear. Box up your gear (adding the equivalent in weight and bulk of a week's food and a day's water) and take it to the store with you (call for an appointment with their most senior pack fitter and go at an uncrowded hour). When you find a pack that seems to work, hike around the store for an hour before deciding.

If you have to order via the internet, have your gear ready before the pack arrives, load up the pack (before removing tags) and hike around the house for an hour or two. Be prepared to pay return shipping charges for several packs until you find the pack that works for you. Of course check the website for the individual firm's return policy and make sure you follow it.

If you haven't discovered the articles on the home page of this site, left hand column , there's considerable material there about pack selection and fitting as well as other gear.

While many people recommend Osprey, I personally am very uncomfortable with Osprey's hip belts. There isn't a pack of theirs I've tried that hasn't been downright painful. That's one reason why I say that it's the fit, not the brand, that is critical.

Gear weight is another critical item; the pack manufacturers' web sites will give you the maximum recommended weight for each pack. I'd subtract 5 pounds from that.

There are also smaller companies that specialize in lightweight packs. Of course these will have to be ordered on the internet.

Edited by OregonMouse (05/20/14 05:28 PM)