Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
The mid-tent hoop design of the Moment tends to cause more condensation than other tent designs. Other brands of tents with the same design also have this problem; it is not specific to Tarptents. Condensation is created by humidity and temperature relative to due point in addition to that contributed by your body. Even in the dry western mountains (Sierra and Wind Rivers) I get excessive condensation about half the nights, even with the door wide open. I wish I had a two-door design so I could get direct cross ventilation. Increasing ventilation helps but does not always cure the condensation.

Saying do not camp on damp grass or ground is really unrealistic - when it rains the grass IS wet and when dew point is reached the grass IS wet! Camping under a canopy of trees helps. Camping on dirt helps. You should be camping 100+ feet from water anyway.

I sympathize - I have use my Moment for about 5 years now and I KNOW where to camp! It is NOT all pilot-error. I choose campsites that will get a good breeze. The condensation is not a real problem (just a perceived problem)as far as "survival" in a storm - it is however a REAL pain when packing up the tent and I constantly bump against the tent when entering and exiting, so my clothes get a bit wet. I hate packing a wet tent. My style of backpacking is early starts - on trail by 7AM, so I seldom get sunshine to dry the tent before I have to pack up. Tarptents are good tents- I just would not ever buy the Moment again. However the Moment does very well in wind and wind eliminates the condensation. And if you camp in an area and the time of year when night temperatures stay above dew point, there is less condensation - then your body is the source, not the atmosphere.

I also take a sponge or cloth to wipe down the tent so at least I am packing a damp tent, not a totally wet tent.

I just want make sure no one knows I'm knocking Tarptent. I just wanted see HOW much condensation can build up in wet humid weather with maximum coverage and very little vent rather than learning it the hard way in the backcountry. I was just curious. I don't know what the 5 years old Tarptent looks like, but the new design has a sizable gap between bug net and the rainfly for air flow, however, it doesn't do any good if you close up every vents on the tent like I did and pitched it on wet grass. grin I guess I was in a mad science experiment mode to see what it would do in less than ideal setup conditions..

Do you know the science behind why hoop designed tent build up condensation more than other designs? Or is it just years of experience?