Originally Posted By dylansdad77
has been asked, but i haven't seen any threads that answer the question enough for me to make a decision. As it stands, the last piece of gear I feel I need is a water filtration device. I spent over an hour at Cabela's today speaking with a seasoned gentleman that claims to have completed the AT in sections - therefore validating (in my mind) his ability to advise on filters. He recommended a Camelbak sterilization bottle over the various Katahdin options. I walked in the door looking to purchase the Platypus Gravity Works 4.0 filter system because I AM LAZY and I really like the idea of not having to pump my water. However, after speaking to the Cabelas worker, I was more confused than when I walked in.

So I pose the question - without spending $300 on a filter system, what are the options to consider and which systems do you recommend the most?

SIDE NOTE: I will be using this filter on multi-day hiking and kayaking trips.

I have a Katahdin Vario pump filter and a Sawyer Squeeze. See my thread in this section about my Sawyer, other than that minor draw back, I'm still going continue using it. I guess if you don't want a pump filter, look at various of gravity filters and the Sawyer filters. So far, the reason I haven't splurge on a gravity filter is, well, most of the hydration sack are pretty darn big. I filter water for myself, so the Sawyer is fastest and lightest option. Maybe one day I'll get a gravity filter when I have a significance other to hike with me. The Sawyer Squeeze is a good filter, it just has a lot of maintenance which you will see in my thread.

P.S. What exactly are you confused by? I never use a water bottle with a filter built into it, not sure if I like that. Everyone has personal preferences, long as the filter isn't bulky and can filter enough microbes without getting me sick, it's golden!!! smile

Edited by ETSU Pride (05/07/14 08:24 PM)