There is a lot online about this trail. I suggest you read up on what you should take. it doesn't sound like you can get lost, as long as you stick to the trail, but you never know. The campsites require reservations and it sounds like the trail gets lots of hikers, so you should get on that right away.

You don't seem to know much about hiking. Granted, I don't know you, so I don't really care, but someone probably does, so do them a favor and learn how to take care of yourself before starting off. Don't rely on cel phones or the kindness of strangers (you're in college, go look it up). You probably won't wind up like Chris McCandless (died in Alaska after eating poisonous plants out in the wilderness, you can rent the movie Into the Wild for details) or Tim Treadwell (killed by a bear, also in AK), but even in PA, the wild isn't exactly a college campus.

Yes, you may be able to rent gear. Check your local outdoor store. REI for example rents gear, but there aren't any in PA as best I can determine from their website.