I need poles for balance issues on rough ground. They really help my bum knee on long downhills. They make uphill climbs easier. I switched from a single staff to trekking poles 10 years ago and never looked back.

I also use my trekking poles for exercise walking (also known as Nordic walking). Using the poles exercises the core muscles and turns walking into a whole body exercise! On pavement, I use rubber tips over the points.

I still think that "Pete's Poles Page" is the best site on trekking poles.

A lot of folks prefer the flick-lock type poles. I tried them in the store and discovered I don't have enough strength in my fingers to work them. I've used the twist-lock Leki poles for years and had no problems with them (even though I often have to get help from a neighbor to open jars). I also can't use fixed length poles because the length I need to support my shelter is longer than the length I need for hiking. I also like being able to collapse the poles and tie them to my pack when I need to use my hands, and also shorten them when putting them in the car. These are, of course, "Your Mileage May Vary" situations.

If you're not sure you'll like the poles, see if you can get a pair of used ski poles of the proper length for a few bucks in a thrift shop, and try them out for a few hikes.