Lots of stuff on cooking is available:

"Sarbar's" website, www.trailcooking.com. Lots of stuff using supermarket ingredients, rehyddrated with boiling water and stuck in a cozy 15 minutes. Saves fuel and no dishes to wash (Sarbar is my heroine!).

"Dicentra's" website, One Pan Wonders, is another good one.

There's a "Lite Food Talk" section here in the forum with a separate Trail Food Cookbook, with lots of yummy recipes.

Packit Gourmet is another great source for freeze dried food. You can buy in bulk and mix your own meals if you prefer (cheaper that way). Also a lot tastier and with less preservatives than Mountain House (yech!).

I have a cheap dehydrator (it does have a thermostat, which is important) that I use to dehydrate portions of the one-dish meals I cook during the winter. I also cook my own rice (in chicken broth or vegetable broth) and dehydrate it instead of using the (IMHO) inedible Minute Rice. I do the same for quinoa. Just be sure to start dehydrating small portions and test them at home--you don't want to dry a whole dehydrator full of a recipe and then find out it either tastes horrible or won't reconstitute! Sarbar's website listed above has lots of info on home dehydrating.

Edited by OregonMouse (04/08/14 02:11 PM)