BTW, the "warm when wet" label for synthetic insulation is a myth. Synthetic is a little easier to dry out than down, but once wet, there is no warmth in either insulation type (been there, done that with a flooded campsite), With any insulation, you must take extra precautions to keep it dry.

At least one study (admittedly limited) showed down insulation drying faster than synthetic in comparable vests, but at least with synthetic you don't have to keep pulling clumped feathers apart. Unfortuntely, a paid BPL membership is required to read this article.

Since I have a down sleeping bag, I always preferred synthetic insulation for clothing just to keep all options open. However, I bought a down jacket a couple of years ago and can't believe how much warmer it is for the weight. Your Mileage, of course, May Vary. Also to be considered are your budget and the fact that you already have a jacket, a bit heavy but obviously warm. Have you tried this jacket outdoors on a really cold winter day?

Also, to compare the warmth of different jackets, you really need to compare the weight of only the insulation. Any other difference is due to the shell fabric and/or various features such as pockets and extra zippers. For a warmth comparison, those don't really count, unless, of course, they are features that you really want!

Edited by OregonMouse (03/28/14 06:08 PM)