My wife and I hike once a month, year round. During the summer, we camp. We have complete the 46 4000 footers in New York, and we are working on our Northeast 115. We are not beginners, but we don't have a lot of friends that are into hiking/backpacking. Because of this, we don't know a lot about how "other people" do this stuff...we just know what works for us. Usually, we tackle the longer hikes during the summer. We take the whole weekend, so we will often hike about 5 miles in on Friday and set up camp. On Saturday, we will do a 10+ mile day hike, and stay at our base camp again. Sunday we walk the 5 miles back out to the trailhead. We don't have ultralight gear, so we both carry relatively big backpacks. We don't need the big packs on Saturday, so we carry in another daypack to use on Saturday. This always seems so crazy to me. What do other people do? Would you just carry the huge pack on Saturday, with almost nothing in it? Would you carry an ultra light day pack that was "packable". My daypack is an internal frame 30L pack. My backpack is like 80L. What we're doing is working well, so I'm not necessarily going to change anything. I'm just curious what other people do. Thank you.