First before I go into this, I just wanted to say neat forum. smile

I have never backpacked before. My only camp experiences are car and paddle with some portages growing up. Both are completely different from backpacking so this is all new.

So I guess let me start with what I have, what I was thinking and then ask my questions.

Current gear list start:

1. Cook kit, consists of a stainless mug and pot that nests within itself and a msr pocket rocket totals 16.6oz without a stuff sack and 22.5oz with my big made out of paracord one.

1a. I didn't have a full fuel canister to weigh. The canister says 7.4oz full though.

2. Hammock setup is ENO double nest with their atlas straps. Straps are 11.4oz and hammock is 20oz as they weighed for me. I also have a milsurp m1966 hammock that comes in at 20.4oz with all the necessary rigging, however I'm worried about the trees and comfort of the design of it. I have not tried it out yet though.

3. 8 stakes 11.4oz

4. Sleeping bag is a -40 cheapo that weighs 32.6oz

5. Headlamp with extra batteries is 1.6oz

6. Approx 25ft of 550 cord 3.5oz

7. I have several options for cutting tools, but I was wondering what is usually necessary. I have options from small folders all the way up to large knives suitable for battening and prying. The weight of the biggest knife I have is 23.1oz with a small pocket sharpener and ferro rod (my preferred method for fire). My middle fixed knife is 11oz. My lightest knife is a small folder buck knife at 2oz though. I also have a small hatchet that could double for all cutting tasks, but it's kind of bulky as well at 20.2oz.

Things I need, or think I need. Stuff that I need help on.:

1. A backpack, and I have no idea where to start or what to look for. I mean I'm totally clueless. This is what I need the most help with.

2. Rainfly. I was thinking of either keeping with the eno thing and getting their fly or I was looking into milsurp ponchos as they double as shelter and hammock cover. Modern ones are made from ripstop as far as I know. A poncho would be a little cheaper as well. I'm thinking it probably heavier though but not by a lot.

3. Pretty much anything to do with water. I have a 1L bladder and that's it.

4. Anything else you might think I need.

I doubt I will want to ever camp in the winter here in NY so I guess call this a spring summer setup. Possibly early fall. I want to get out with my in laws up in the ADK this season.

EDIT: Purchased a bug net, 15.2oz.

Edited by Loren dude (03/20/14 03:57 PM)