OK, here's an update on our gear situation.
After researching a bunch on boots, and going to REI and spending two hours trying on Lowas, Danners, Keens, and several other brands and styles, we both ended up settling on the Vasque Breeze GTX 2.0's. They were the most comfortable, supportive, lightweight, and had the acclaimed vibram sole. They have great reviews online, and look well-made. I even blind-tested between them and the Lowa Renegade GTX's, and chose the Vasque. We have REI's fantastic return policy backing it up, so if they start to have problems after a few months' use, we'll return them for something else.

Yesterday, our Kelty Trail Ridge 3 arrived from Amazon. Haven't gotten a chance to set it up yet, but once our sleeping bags come, we'll give it a test in the yard.

Speaking of bags, we ordered those from REI.com yesterday. My wife just wanted to get a 2-person bag, but for versatility's sake (thanks for the tip, Gershon), we got two that can be mated together. We got the North Face Dolomite 2S and Dolomite 3S. One's a +20 rated bag, the other is +35. This allows us, when the bags are mated together, to flip whichever one on top to provide the level of warmth that fits the climate.
Any tips on sleeping bag liners (homemade? or just buy them?) would be welcomed, as well as guidance on sleeping pads.

I'm thinking of getting the Emberlit Wood-burning backpacking stove. Super lightweight, packs into the size of a dvd case, and looks like it kicks great heat. That, combined with a magnesium striker/flint for starter, will be our cooking platform.

What are your thoughts on hiking poles? One? Two? Used ski poles? Wood? From what I've read, those who are used to them really like them and find them useful, but they seem to have more application in rocky, mountainous areas.