Where do you live?

I've done some hammock camping and I'm going to upgrade my hammock when I can. So, I have some experience and I need to know a little more. Specifically what is your max amount cash you're willing to spend? Did you know all the accessories involved in hammock camping?

Hammock camping involves the following stuff:

Hammock
Top quilt/sleeping bag
Underquilt/sleeping pad
Tarp
Bug net (if not integrated into hammock, unless you like bugs then this is optional. grin )
Ropes, tree straps, and hardware. (And this setup can be done in many different combinations!!)

If you already have a insulated sleeping pad, I may go ahead and throw out the idea of getting a dual layer hammock where you can slide the pad in-between the layers. This could save you the added expense on getting an under quilt. Sleeping onto of the insulated pad while in the hammock isn't that fun. I know from experience.... cry

Once I know the answers to these questions, I can throw out some gear suggestions I've came across and have used before. Hammock camping is an addiction, the unreal amount of customization available makes it so addicting. You'll meet a lot of people with different setups. It can get expensive, but I'm like you know what? It's only money, money is forever our time on earth isn't so go hike! grin

Also, Hammock Forum the wealth of information regarding hammock camping is unreal and it's the holy grail. Words of caution: your WILL brain go into sensory overload trying absorb all the information on that site...

And welcome aboard! To answer your last suggestion, where would you like us to start?!?! smile There are links on the side of this forum that can steer you into some general ideas and directions.

Edited by ETSU Pride (03/17/14 10:33 PM)