Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
What Canadian maps do you get on the GPS screen? What is the resolution?

The GPS screen still sucks smile I have been printing them from the same data on paper using a couple of different pieces of software that read the raw ibycus data. on Paper I can plan.

Quote:

Google earth has a GPS generated "route" along the Continental Divide through the Wind Rivers. It is a joke. It also shows a "route" up one hellish drainage. I think they just search the internet for GPS coordinate routes and stick them on the maps, with no ground truth work whatsoever. The internet is a source of 10% very valuable data; 90% trash data. I think Google Earth should stick strictly to showing the images. It is very irritating when they draw a line over a "road" so you cannot really see the road. The images speak for themselves. If you cannot totally verify the lines you put on a map, leave them out!

Everything beyond the map data in Google earth is pretty much user contributed - and that's the problem. half the time user submitted tracks are nowhere near where they should be. Same thing with photos - half the time people tag them nowhere near where they really are (especially with smartphones with horrible gps's) and so what ends up uploaded into the cloud is a bunch of lies wink
Browse my pictures