OregonMouse: I appreciate your response on the burro. My question is (and I mean this sincerely, not sarcastically), if the animal will use most of its carrying capacity on supplies and food for itself, leaving little for human gear, why have people used pack animals on treks like this in the past?

Gershon: Great info on the footwear. I've been looking at boots, mainly Lowa and Vasque brands. I want something super durable (gorilla tape is a great tip), reasonably light weight, and as breathable as possible to combat the hot weather. Any other places you'd send me looking, or characteristics to consider?

Dryer: I'd be interested to hear more about that ill-fated journey in Mexico. Have you written anything up about it anywhere? I'm also interested in your other experiences there. You say the terrain is some of the roughest and most hostile, are you referring to the physical landscape, or the hostility of the political situation(any run-ins with cartels?)? What areas of N Mexico have you been in? Chihuahua, Sonora, Torreon area? Any insider/experience-based guidance would be a great help. I haven't been able to find many Americans who have explored the area.

FinallyME: A cart is an interesting idea. I hadn't thought of that, though it may be a great option if sticking primarily to roads is feasible. I'm in the process of researching whether roads or backcountry are safer. Thanks for the tip.

Question: Does anyone have favorite books/guides/sites that are specific to desert treks? I've got Fletcher's The Complete Walker, but it's not specifically desert-sensitive. I'd like to shed some more light on the challenges specific to the desert. Also, if you're aware of any travel narratives about hiking in Mexico, pass them along. They seem to be few and far between.

Again, I really appreciate the interest and contributions from everyone.