Gershon: Thanks for the response, I really appreciate the guidance. I know that 4 months would be a very ambitious estimate. We don't have any time constraints getting back, so we won't be rushing. With more time spent long-distance walking in similar terrain, we'll better be able to gauge our rate of travel.
I am 25 years old and my wife is 22, we're in fairly good shape, and will be beginning a scheduled walking regimen to train and prepare. Would you recommend training to a certain speed (say 3.5mph, as you suggested) and getting used to that, or walking and finding the speed that's "right for us?"

Lori: It's disappointing that you've grown jaded after so many similar, yet unsincere and unserious posts. That would be frustrating.
I can assure you that this folder is by no means my primary source of information. I am studying a number of respected books, guides, and other reference materials, studying topographical maps of my entire route, weather data, crime statistics and reports, travel narratives/blogs/posts, government travel advisories, and related films and documentaries both fictional and nonfictional. I'm talking personally to people who live in cities all along the trail. I'm taking courses at my university on wilderness survival, orienteering, and backpacking. I recognize that internet "crowdsourced" information is a collection of the opinions of individual people who may or may not be any more experienced or qualified than I am. I take each post with a boulder of salt, as my and my wife's welfare are on the line.

I am entirely aware of the political climate in Mexico. In my Introduction page, I explain that I lived in El Paso for two years, working every day with the Spanish-speaking population there. I know intimately many people who have been directly affected by the violence throughout the country. I used to read El Paso's Spanish-language newspaper often, noting that the Monday morning cover page almost always included a death toll. In my introduction, I explain my purpose for walking, which does not ignore the risks involved.

The purpose of this Drive folder is twofold: (1) To get information in the specific context of our journey: Tents or boots that are especially good for this kind of terrain or temperature, experiences in the areas we'll be passing through, advice on caring/providing for a donkey in rural Mexico, etc. (2) To hopefully reach others who could be interested in this endeavor. My wife and I certainly are not the only ones troubled by the situation in Mexico, and the world's perception of it. There are certainly other backpackers who have a love for Mexico similar to mine, and who might want to participate in the journey in one way or another.

I didn't mean to come off as a parasite, coming to suck you dry of information. My expressed interest in participating in the community was sincere. However, in light of your comments, maybe you're right, and the purpose of this community is different from what I need.