A lot of people will disagree with you about AquaMira liquid, but after doing quite a bit of research several years ago, I agree with your findings.

From what I found, AquaMira liquid will zap bacteria and viruses, but not protozoa unless used double strength (providing a dose similar to the tablets) and with a similar waiting time as for the tablets (up to 4 hours if the water is really cold). Of course if you also filter the water with a filter of 1.0 micron or less, you will get rid of the protozoa (giardia, cryptosporidium) that way.

A few years ago I planned to try AquaMira's Frontier Pro filter, with which you chemically treat the water to zap bacteria and viruses and then run it through their filter to get rid of giardia. I looked and looked to find out how many microns the filter was. After a lot of searching I found on another website the figure of 3.0 microns. Per the CDC, this won't get everything out; you need 1.0 micron or smaller.

I just wish I'd saved the references to pass on. I didn't think at the time that I'd want to pass on the info.

After that experience, and realizing that they hide the info about the Frontier Pro filter (every other filter manufacturer publises the size prominently), I don't trust anything from this company. All that prose appears to be just marketing hype. The stuff is being marketed to backpackers, but with lots of purple prose and no specifications to back it up.

BTW, "I have never gotten sick" is not scientific data! It does appear to be true, however, that many cases of various intestinal ailments in backpackers are more likely caused by poor sanitation, such as not washing hands after toilet functions and before touching food.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/09/14 08:39 PM)