Congrats on your first solo trip!

We have a Falls Creek Falls here, too, just across the Columbia River in Washington. There are, of course, a lot of "Falls Creeks," with or without actual waterfalls, anywhere that isn't flat.

The fact that you got along fine with the gear you've had for a long time proves that you don't have to have the latest and greatest--just get out there and enjoy yourself, and switch to lighter stuff gradually when you can.

I keep promoting the articles on the home page of this site, left hand column, both because they are excellent and they really helped me lighten up. At least half the process is eliminating unnecessary or redundant items, rather than buying new stuff. If I've already sent you there, apologies, but perhaps someone else reading this report will read them.

Oh,and for the cold feet? A really thick pair of wool or fleece socks, kept exclusively for sleeping. Worth the price and weight, IMHO. I now have down booties, but they are more expensive and really aren't any warmer than the fleece socks I used to wear. Yes, redundant gear, but IMHO a luxury worth having! Besides, a good night's sleep is priceless! So are warm feet!

Edited by OregonMouse (03/08/14 06:54 PM)