Quote:
...once an off trail route has GPS coordinates, the route can generate an unintended use-trail that really spoils the off-trail experience….People have made GPS coordinate lists and put them out on the internet and having done the route at about 8 year intervals apart, I could really see the damage done.

Unfortunately, this is happening all over. I recently saw a BPL post about someone doing this for the Winds on his website.

One of the LNT principles for off-trail travel is to spread out and not keep following the same route, so as not to create a use trail. Of course, Lori also sees this from a SAR viewpoint--depending on just a gadget (which can fail) instead of skills can get people into trouble. The terrain doesn't always stay the same, and just following coordinates can put people in the wrong place at the wrong time.

This Luddite has used map and compass navigation and "reading the terrain" successfully for many, many years (started at age 6) and has no desire to learn to use another battery-eating gadget. I'm still struggling with my digital camera! laugh But that's strictly personal opinion. For those who want to use a GPS as a supplement to learned navigation skills, a GPS is an enhancement. Unfortunately, too many rely solely on the GPS.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/08/14 02:57 AM)