Those were my very first "real" trail runners. I really liked them. They helped me realize that ankle support is overrated. I have weak ankles and would roll them all the time in my waffle stompers. But when I used those Merrells, never did I roll my ankle...even off trail in loose rocks on a steep slope.
I really liked the soles, thin, but not too thin. When I acted as sherpa, I could feel the big rocks through the soles, but it never caused a problem. There is also plenty of grip, about the same as most any other backpacking shoe or boot. They are great at scrambling on granite as well.
The thing I did not like about them was that dang stretchy thing around the ankle. It made it difficult to put them on, or take them off.
They also didn't fit me perfectly. I have wide feet, so I got a pair that fit my forefoot, but then the heel was loose. However, this was never a problem. I think because they were so light. If they were a heavy boot, that type of fit would have given me bad heel blisters. But, they stuck to my heel because of how light they were.
So, with the bad fit and REALLY annoying stretchy ankle thingy, I haven't bought any more. I love Merrels, but they just don't fit frown . New Balance has so far been the only brand that fit me well, at least in my price range.
So, to make a long post short, if they fit you, they will be fine.