I've got a few hikes and backpacking trips planned for this year and what should pop into my head first when thinking about hiking in the beautiful backwoods...the pain. The straps cutting in, the weight shifting back n forth and not enjoying the hike as much as I'd like to. So in attempt to cut pack weight I've actually been considering ditching the tent since I always have a tarp anyway and this year I'll have a tyvek tarp to work with. Every trip I've ever been on has been with people who really have little more experience then me. So I've always just followed their example. We usually have a tarp over our common area and then another one over our tents in addition to the rain flies on the tents, which in my experience has always been ideal with the crappy tents I've owned. So I've always carried 2 tarps and my tent. Its also been my experience that there is never a nice spot to set a tarp n tent close to the fire that would be suitable for sleeping. So i've always been under the impression that you need a tent and tarp to feel all warm n fuzzy inside.

Well now I want some opinions from more experienced backpackers about your experiences with using just a tarp and maybe the best set ups, how to stay warm under a tarp when your 40ft away from the fire. Which do you prefer, a tent, tarp, or a tarp tent?