Backyard? No. (Except for one night when I wanted to see how far toward zero I could stretch the limit of a 40-degree bag. Answer was 20, before I got too cold and went inside to a nice, warm bed.)

But I'm lucky; I've got two parks (one state, one metro) within 20 miles of where I live. I have, quite often, gotten off work, tossed my pack and a little food in the car, and camped at the public campground (off-season, they're pretty much deserted.) I set up camp and cooked supper in the dark, then simulated a backpack trip, complete with a four or five mile hike the next morning. It's a great way to try out new gear, or just check to be sure everything's in working order. (I also take pencil and paper: "Put the repair kit for the sleeping pad back in the pack." That sort of thing.)

I'd say give it a whirl. Only - why not go camp by the creek? If it's only a few hundred yards, and the owner won't mind, the after-dark aspect shouldn't stop you. (I'm NOT saying setting up just outside the back door is wrong, just suggesting an alternative.)

Whatever you do outside has got to be better than another night of reality entertainment (which, like Meals Ready-to-Eat, is neither.)