Well, if the pad isn't inflated so hard that you're waking because your hips hurt, it's not the pad. (You may want to experiment with a little harder or softer, just to rule that out.) Ditto knees - they're clearly not hanging off the pad.

If the clothes are coming unbunched, and you neck drops to an uncomfortable angle, that could wake you. Try putting the clothing in a stuff sack (you should have some empty, like the tent sack), to keep it from unbunching.

I do the same thing Phat does: I use an empty (or full) water bladder as a pillow, inflated or deflated to proper firmness. If it's empty, I inflate it with air (my MSR Dromlite is really easy to inflate.)

One other thought: are you sleeping level? I have trouble staying asleep if I'm on a bit of a slope - even with my feet downhill, I wake up. You can't always get a level site; if you do have to pitch a tent on a slope, you can build up the low end of your bed by putting your empty pack (and, if needed, some clothes or other stuff) under the low end, to make it level.

Keep tinkering. It may just be getting used to it. However, if you find that the Neoair isn't comfortable, you might try the Big Agnes Q-Core (the original gray one, not the SL version.) It's heavier than the Neoair, but it's also incredibly comfortable - even more than the Neoair. I don't take mine backpacking anymore, but I do sleep on it at home, when the granddaughters visit and decide to have a pajama party with Grandma and I get kicked out of my bed.

Do you camp alone, or with a group? If you go solo, and feel that it's apprehension - try going with a group and see if you sleep better when camping with other folks. (Solo is fun, but it's not everybody's cup of tea.)

The only other thing I can think of is the sleeping bag. Synthetic bags may feel heavy on top of you, depending on how heavy a blanket or quilt you sleep on at home. (I have this problem when I stay in motels that have heavy, cotton quilts; I sleep under a down comforter (no heavy cotton duvet) at home, and the weight of the quilt keeps waking me.) You may want to try a down bag. Also, do you zip the bag and cinch the hood down, regardless of outside temperature? If so, you may be getting too hot and waking up. Try just draping the bag over you like a blanket if that's the case.

I hope I'm not insulting your intelligence; I'm just trying to throw out all the things I can think of, not knowing what you've already tried. Keep tinkering, and it will work out.

Edited by Glenn Roberts (02/24/14 08:57 PM)