Originally Posted By ETSU Pride
I can't remember if this topic has been discussed on here before or not. Do bag liners such as this really add more warmth to the bag? Or they just mostly keeping human's body oil from seeping into bag?

I was thinking, if I was to take my sleeping bag (the 15 degree one) somewhere cold and the temperature would be right around the bag's comfort rating. And say the temperature drops 5 degrees below comfort rating, would a liner really boost the warmth? I wouldn't expect a 40 degree bag compared with the liner I mentioned above to keep me warm in 20 degrees weather, but a 15-20 degree comfort rating in say 10 degree weather I wondered if it could make a difference?

I've used this product just as you mentioned, and it's performed about at the limit you set- 5 degrees. I've also used it by itself on cool summer nights when I needed just a light covering, when it was 65 or so. It probably outperforms another layer of clothes for a warmth to weight ratio, but the clothes will probably have a greater gain in lowering the comfort range. As a 10 oz. sleep system for the summer, it's OK. We used it this past fall on a trip in the Sierra where the average night was around 22 and we had brought 30 degree bags. I wore a fleece jacket and my wife used the Reactor. We both slept well. I found you need to roll the liner down when you get out, if you wish to return to it in any quick fashion. Once I learned that, it was no problem getting back into it.
I'll use it occasionally for a slight boost and by itself as a very lightweight sleep system. I will never use it to supplement more than 5-7 degrees, though. IMO, their claim is a little exaggerated.