Thanks for posting this. I couldn't agree more.

Some of you know who I am. Other's may not. I'm nobody really important, but I used to be a regular on this forum. However I had an incident that resulted in me not participating anymore. I was involved in a discussion with a few members in a meaningful, substantive way about current backpacking technology. It turned into nothing more than incredibly hurtful personal attacks by a particular individual. I couldn't believe this person wasn't immediately kicked off the forum permanently. His blatant disregard for anyone else's opinion was shocking to say the least. He was the authority on the subject and that was final. If you crossed him, then decorum was thrown out the window. It got really ugly.

I learned that he was a manufacturer of a well-respected cottage industry pack brand that the administrators wanted to have participate. Unfortunately it wasn't his only incident. After that, I was through. It simply wasn't worth it and the fun was gone. To this day it saddens me. I really would like to participate again and Jimshaw's post is a good step in helping me do so.

There are a few things I've learned over the 10+ years of being a rep for a few outdoor gear manufacturers. I started in this business eager to let everyone know that the stuff I represented was the best! I learned (not as quickly as I should have) that this tactic was counterintuitive. In other words, I didn't get the results I was hoping for. What eventually worked for me was to simply explain the advantages and disadvantages of the product and let the chips fall where they may. Luckily the product I've repped for over the years (Cascade Designs, Princeton Tec, Adventure Medical Kits, Granite Gear, Powertraveller, Stanley, Yakima, and Westcomb) are from amazing companies who put incredible effort and resources into their products. As unbiased as I could be, I strived to use this tactic to help the people I worked for understand our products so that they would be empowered to relay the information to the customer and get them the product that they needed and/or what they were looking for.

My advice (if anyone wants it) in researching a piece of gear would be to start by comparing gear based on the items unique advantages and disadvantages which should then be based on YOUR wants and needs. There is no perfect gear and there is no such thing as 'the best'! As an example, MSR tents aren't the lightest, but they aren't designed to be. We consider livability, durability, and weight equally. That may or may not suit your needs. If lightweight is the most important category, then you should probably look elsewhere. But I wouldn't disregard the other categories simply because you have convinced yourself that lightweight trumps all. You may regret that decision in the end. Having said that, there may be a better tent that addresses these three criteria. The only way you can know is if you make the effort to find it.

I would also encourage everyone to form your own opinion. We all have the capability to develop an opinion based on the incredible amount of information available to us today. No longer are we subject to a sales person's opinion. Study it out, get as much information as you can, ask the right questions, read user reviews, find people who are honest and upfront with you (like many on this forum), and, if possible, try it out and return it if it's not what your looking for (make sure you know the store/manufacturer's policies before buying). Please don't go off of someone else's word. If you do it right, you can be as expert on gear as those of us who do it for a living. I definitely do not claim to be the utmost authority on gear and I still glean much information from folks who have used our products both shop employees and customers (I also try to use the products as much as a husband and father can). I learn new things everyday! It's one of the funnest parts of my job.

Most importantly, have fun! The majority of us do this to forget about the stresses, pains, and strifes of life. This is our release! This forum should be about enjoying each other's opinion and experience, not to prove how I'm right and you're wrong.

Capisce?