Thanks Jim,

1-We have since replaced the tent and cord for LT WT gear at half the weight. I need the cord for bear bagging.
2-I wont be going without a pack liner as my pack is not waterproof and I don't want to risk my sleep bag and insulators to wet weather.
3-The bottles are 1 liter soda bottles similar to smart water bottles but 4g less per bottle. Not sure what would be lighter but open to suggestion. I had two on the list for areas where water will not be as available. My backup would be the Sawyer bag.
4-the filter goes in my bag at night. we are not usually in below freezing temps during the day in fall or spring here. Filtering allows me to carry less water. I don't want to boil along the trail. I have kidney disease and fear using chemicals. To me its worth the extra weight here.
5-Your right, I could very well go without a hose but I have found that I am a whole lot more comfortable hiking when I can take a quick sip without stopping. I actually find I can manage my consumption much easier this way. Worth the extra oz. for me. I started using a hose years ago when off road motorcycling where drinking was a mandatory hands off operation. smile Just a little water in hot conditions while wearing lots of safety gear went a long way. Still does. This is kinda another health related choice in that Fabry patients don't have an effective cooling system. frown
6-soap is for sanitary reasons. From my research much better than hand sanitizer at getting rid of certain bacteria. Especially the kind you can imagine I'm using the soap for. I have it in mini eye drop bottle. I suppose I could wash my hands in dirt or sand to remove bacteria because most is removed by the mechanical action of washing but that just seems a little counter productive.
7-the rest are personal choices I guess. I have used a compass several times when the trail became non existent. Knife is 1.5 oz of great value to me. Whistle, tiny bit of insurance. Ditching something that insignificant (10g)in weight seems stupid light IMO. Keep in mind we don't consider ourselves SUL packers and I mean no disrespect to any one who is.
8-If the weather is on the warm side and rain is definitely out I have been known to go without rain pants but your definitely right about the add in so I have some material coming for a couple pairs of sub-3oz MYOG rain pants.

Our Spring/Fall base weights are now at 13.6 pds.
Summer base is 11.7 pds.
So I hope I addressed the issues sensibly and weight efficiently. Always open to more advise though.

thanks again, jimmyb

Edited by jimmyb (02/10/14 01:08 AM)